RECIPE OF THE WEEK Brumby's
French toast with cinnamon sugar breadcrumbs.
1. For the compote, place rhubarb in a saucepan over medium heat. Add caster sugar and 1/4 cup (60ml) water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-8 minutes until rhubarb is very soft. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Trim hard crusts, then whiz crusts in a small food processor to coarse crumbs. Heat oil in a fry pan over medium-high heat. Add crumbs and cook, tossing, for 3-4 minutes until light golden. Add cinnamon and 2 tbs caster sugar, and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until golden and crisp. Set aside to cool.
3. Slice sourdough slices into triangles. Whisk eggs, vanilla, cream and remaining 2 tbs sugar in a bowl. Soak sourdough in egg mixture for 30 seconds, then place on a baking tray ready to fry.
4. Melt half the butter in a fry pan over medium heat. In batches, cook half the egg-soaked bread for 1-2 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel, then repeat with remaining butter and bread.
5. Serve the French toast with compote, sugar breadcrumbs and whipped cream.
Recipe available from the Brumby’s Bakery website, click here for ingredient list and video tutorial.
Offer ends: Thursday 26th of April 2018
Majura Park Shopping Centre, Majura Park ACT 2609