Do your little ones love getting involved and making a mess in the kitchen?
Cooking is a great experience for kids, as it not only builds their confidence, it also sparks their creativity, patience, and teamwork! Cooking can also teach little ones the importance of hygiene in the kitchen and other life skills such as:
- washing their hands before and after handling food
- tying their hair back
- making sure food preparation surfaces are clean, and
- wearing an apron or clean clothes
Latorta have the perfect at-home activity for you – ‘Egg-cellent No Fail Sugar Cookies’
Egg-cellent No Fail Sugar Cookies, brought to you by Latorta.
- Cookie dough:
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup salted butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2tsp. vanilla extract, citrus zest or desired flavouring (Latorta love LorAnn flavour oils)
- Royal Icing
- In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla/flavour. Mix well.
- Add flour a little at a time to the butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Roll dough between two sheets of baking paper until about 7mm thick – chill for 30 minutes or freeze for 15 minutes.
- Cut the Easter shapes using Latorta cookie cutters. Gently mix together the offcuts by hand and re-roll. Chill and repeat process.
- Place the chilled cookie dough shapes onto a room temperature baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake 180ºc for 7 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges.
- Set the cookies aside to cool.
- Mix egg white powder with the pure icing sugar. Add liquid and beat on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Separate the icing mixture into bowls and add food colouring to create desired Easter colours.
- Decorate with sprinkles and other colourful decorations!
Please note – wet icing can be stored in an airtight container, out of the fridge for 3-4 days before it starts to separate. Once applied, the icing is safe at room temperature for many months.
-For a quick alternative, try cookie dough pre-mix and Royal Icing Mix from Latorta!
-Fondant is another great way to decorate your cookies, roll out and cut with the same cookie cutter and affix to your cookie with a little bit of water. There are many colours to choose from, and white fondant can be easily coloured with food dye.
For further details on Latorta’s home delivery and shipping details, click here.